By Katharina Haude
Read or Download A grammar of Movima PDF
Similar grammar books
Many students of language have accredited a view of grammar as a truly delineated and internally coherent constitution that's most sensible understood as a self-contained method. The members to this quantity suggest a really various approach of coming near near and knowing grammar: taking as their place to begin the placement that the very integrity of grammar is certain up with its position within the higher schemes of the association of human behavior, relatively social interplay, their essays discover a wealthy number of linkages among interplay and grammar.
Suffixaufnahme is an strange trend of a number of case marking because of contract: a nominal that's already case-marked for its personal adnominal functionality moreover copies the case of the nominal to which it's to be similar. The essays during this assortment comprehensively study this little recognized phenomenon in all components the place it's (or was once) attested--most ordinarily in Anatolia, the Caucasus and Transcaucasus, Aryan India, japanese Siberia, Ethiopia, and aboriginal Australia.
Following on from Noam Chomsky's "The Minimalist Program", this article bargains in a common method with economic system derivation and minimalism.
The Grammar Cracker «cracks open» the door to the realm of English-learning via providing the English grammar ideas and practices in a truly transparent demeanour. Its layout is logical: it really is geared up so as of accelerating measurement and scope, from letters to phrases to sentences to paragraphs to essays, stories, books, and so on.
- Reading Images: The Grammar of Visual Design
- Introducing Transformational Grammar : From Principles and Parameters to Minimalism
- The Grammar of English Grammars
- Deriving Coordinate Symmetries: A Phase-Based Approach Integrating Select, Merge, Copy And Match (Linguistik Aktuell Linguistics Today)
- Adjectives, Number and Interfaces (North-Holland Linguistic Series: Linguistic Variations)
Additional info for A grammar of Movima
The syllable structure is simple: either CV or CVC. Morphological features which deserve special mention include the existence of an infix, inserted according to metric criteria. Different types of reduplication are not only frequent, but also serve a wide range of functions which are noteworthy from a cross-linguistic perspective. These include, among other things, voice marking, the marking of inalienable possession, the expression of predicative possession, and nominalization. Furthermore, Movima uses 10 different cliticization processes to distinguish grammatical relations.
5) behaves in the same way as a vowel-initial word (cf. (120)) or as a bound nominal elemen (cf. (124)) when attached as a suffix: (127) a. i/ b. i/, have a consonant-initial allomorph when attached to a base-final vowel. Their two allomorphs are given in (128)–(131). (128) /e / [ ] /C__ [n ]/V__ ‘applicative’ (129) /ak/ [a ] /C__ [ka ]/V__ ‘irrealis’ (130) /uk/ [u ]/C__ [ku ]/V__ ‘intensive; phasal aspect’ (131) /aj / [aj ]/C__ [kaj ]/V__ ‘intensive; phasal aspect’ Examples (132)a and b illustrate the allomorphy of the applicative suffix /e / (cf.
These nouns have the structure CV V. The following are a few examples: (84) ['k ] [' ] ['ma a] ‘tree, firewood’ ‘fire’17 ‘my mother’ The second vowel of these nouns shares some properties with the release vowel, so that the underlying form of the defective nouns can be considered to be /CVk/. However, there is evidence that the second vowel has a proper phonemic status, as I will show below. ). 31 First of all, consider the data which support the analysis of the final vowel as a release vowel. As could be seen in the nouns in (84), this vowel is identical to the preceding vowel.